About Barber Training | Mike Taylor Education
Mike Taylor Education provides Barber Training Courses and Classes in the UK. Find out how to become a barber.
Passionate about his profession and a stalwart of British barbering, Mike has been a barber for over 25 years having opened his first barbershop in Newbury aged 20. Mike now successfully manages seven barbershops across Hampshire and Dorset. As well as working behind the chair in his barbershop in Bournemouth, Mike is a founder of the British Barbers’ Association, a trade organisation dedicated to offering support, advice and a range of products and marketing and financial services, training and competitions exclusively to barbers and men’s hairdressers in the UK. In addition, Mike is also on the board of the Hairdressing Council and Barbering Council – the only government backed trade organisation whose campaign is to raise standards and make our industry self-regulated.
Mike teaches and assesses barbering NVQ 2 and 3 and delivers training for short barbering courses either at his training academy in Poole or out at colleges and salons across the UK, but is also very active in nearly every aspect of barbering imaginable.
• Plays an active part in industry discussion groups steering the development of barbering and education in barbering.
• Works with the British Barbers’ Association (BBA), VTCT, Habia and Trailblazers
• Helped to write the new NOS standards for Barbering NVQ 2 and 3
• Was the very first barber in the country to receive the Master Craftsman status by the Hairdressing Council – the only government backed trade organisation.
• Being on the board of the Barbering Council, designed to push forward with the campaign to get all barbers and barbershops licensed
• Frequently does stage work for major industry exhibitions
• Worked with the BBA and VTCT to create a barbering training DVD for colleges and training providers
• Went to the Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong – a global five star hotel chain, to train their barbers (and was asked to return)
• Worked across Canada delivering barber training for L'Oreal
All in all Mike's got a wealth of experience at the highest levels of the industry and loves passing them on to the next generation in his classes.